The TaxaFinn route...

What you find on this page is the route I follow when I do sightseeings in my cab. It takes my customers through the major sights of Copenhagen and usually lasts about an hour or so. This doesn´t count in the last 4 very famous castles on this page, since they are spread out over the island of Sjælland (Zealand) and this would last at least for a 2 hours car ride, not including any tour inside the castles. The red figures is the year of origin for the sights. If a sight is underlined, there´s a link to Wikipedia or other sites with more information (in english or danish).

The tour begins in the heart of Copenhagen, in Nørregade at....


The Church of Saint Petri 1585 This Church  can trace its origins all the way back to the Middle Ages and was one of Copenhagen's four parish churches. Over the centuries, the church has undergone major architectural changes, particularly as a result of the great fire that ravaged Copenhagen in 1728 and the British bombardment in 1807 during the Napoleonic Wars. A canonball from the 1807 bombardment is still to see in one of the walls. The building we see today is  the result of extensive alterations and repairs.  In 1585, the Church of Saint Petri was assigned to the German-speaking congregation in Denmark by Frederik II. Services are still held in German. A lot of famous people are buried in Saint Petri, including the architect Niels Eigtved who built some of Denmark's most famous buildings.

Vor Frue Kirke (The Copenhagen Cathedral) 1811-1829 There has been churches on this place since 1191. Rebuilt in 1811-1829 after the bombardment of Copenhagen in 1807. Our Lady's Church - Cathedral of Copenhagen - includes Bertel Thorvaldsen's sculptures of Christ and the 12 apostles besides other works. The church's organ was built in 1965 by Th. Frobenius and has 53 stops. No admission during church functions. H C Andersen's funeral was held at the Cathedral of Our Lady in Copenhagen in 1875.


Rundetårn (The Round Tower) 1642 The viewer platform on the top is 34,8 meters above street level and the observatory is 7 meters higher. . Built as observatory in 1642 under Christian IV, and built together with Trinity Church. A 209-metre-long winding passage leads to the platform and the Observatory. Library Hall with changing exhibitions. The Observatory is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 01.October to 31.March 19-22.


Rosenborg Castle, 1606-33 The Royal Danish Collections: The Crown Jewels and the treasures of the Royal Family through 400 years (1500-1900). Rosenborg was built during the reign of Christian IV in 1606-33. In the Spring of 1999 the Rosenborg Tapestries, woven especially for the banquet room of Rosenborg in the late 1600’s, were brought back to their original location after having been used to decorate the banquet hall of Christiansborg Castle for at number of years. The park in front of the castle is Denmarks eldest royal garden and is called The Kings Garden (Kongens Have), and was the King´s private garden until 1770, where it was made open for the public.


Botanisk Have (Botanical Gardens) 1871 to 1874 Planted from 1871 to 1874, the Botanical Gardens are on a lake that was once part of the city's defensive moat. Across from Rosenborg Castle, they contain greenhouses growing both tropical and subtropical plants. Special features include a cactus house and a palm house, all of which appear even more exotic in the far northern country of Denmark. An alpine garden contains mountain plants from all over the world.


The National Gallery, 1896 The old museumbuilding dates back to 1896 and was designed by the architect Wilhelm Dahlerup. The 1998 extension has provided the museum with a significant - and much-needed - increase in the exhibition space available. The magnificent, modernist extension building is situated in parallel with Dahlerup's old museum, opening the house up towards the surrounding parkland. The architect Anna Maria Indrio from the major Danish firm of architects "C.F. Møllers tegnestue" created the new architecture.


The Nyboder 1631area was built as residences for the people of the Danish Navy in the years from 1631 onwards, begun by the King Christian IV. The rows of houses have been rebuilt many times and new blocks have been added through the years ending with the last houses in 1795. But a few of the first houses still stand, and the original, characteristic style has been kept. The beautiful thing about the Nyboder houses is their yellow colour and the infinite repetitions. The slantingly cut gables and the small windows and doors are very charming. Today, the houses are inhabited by military people, even though a lot of pilots and seamen will have to bend their heads several times a day because of the low entrance doors. There is a very big and interesting homepage about the history of Nyboder, but sadly it´s only in danish. You´ll find it HERE.


Kastellet (The Citadel), 1626 It is always an experience to take a walk in the Citadel, but do not bike in there, you risk being stopped by an angry officer. The Citadel was established by Christian IV in 1626, and it was enlarged later on. This was the place from where Denmark should be defended against the enemy, who came from Langelinie to storm the city. Today we can enjoy the quiet and beautiful area, which was renovated in the eighties.

  Kastellet is a star-shaped fortress near Langelinie. The ramparts, bastions and moats are almost unchanged, part of the original fortifications built in 1660, after the drawing of Heinrich Rüse, a Dutch fortress expert. Kastellet was built as a result of the wars against Sweden at the time.

The fortifications appear today almost as they did then, but without the outer ramparts. This has been made possible by thorough renovation financed by the company A. P. Møller. This laudable work has brought about that Kastellet can be seen today as it looked in the last part of the last century: with moats all around it. Also today it is possible to walk on all of the bastions.

The entrance is through Kongeporten ("The King`s gate", 1663). It has recently been restored. Inside are barracks, where you find the State prison (1725) and the Church. The exit is through Norgesporten ("The Norwegian Gate"). For very good reasons Katellet has become a very popular place to visit. It is wonderful to walk about the bastions in all seasons. After most old trees have been removed there is an excellent view over Langelinie, the harbour and the center of the city.


The Little Mermaid 1909 In 1909 Brewer Carl Jacobsen attended the ballet "The Little Mermaid" based on Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale by the same name. Deeply impressed by this performance the brewer asked sculptor Edvard Eriksen (1876-1958) to create a sculpture. The model was Edvard Eriksen's wife. The bronze statue was unveiled at Langelinie on August 23. 1913 as a donation from Brewer Jacobsen to the City of Copenhagen.
The Little Mermaid has had a tough life:
September 1. 1961 Bra & Knickers were painted on her and her hair was painted red.
April 28. 1963 The Mermaid was covered in red paint
April 25. 1964 The Mermaid was decapitated.
June 2. 1964 it was reerected with its new head.
July 15. 1976 The Mermaid was covered in paint.
July 22. 1984 The right arm of the Mermaid was cut off.
August 5. 1990 Another attempt was made to decapitate her.
Januar 6. 1998 The Mermaid was decapitated.


St. Albans Church (The English Church), 1887 The Anglican (Episcopal) church in Copenhagen, erected in 1887 in English Gothic style by the architect A.W.Blomfield. A fine example of Victorian church architecture. The beautiful site of the church is due to its royal connections - the Prince of Wales later King Edward VII was married to a Danish princess - Alexandra who decided that the British congregation in Copenhagen should have their own church. Open to the public from May to September or by previous appointment


The Gefion Fountain 1908 The fountain was created by a Danish sculptor, Anders Bundgaard in 1908. It illustrates a saga from the Nordic mythology in which the godess Gefion obtained permission from the Swedish King Gylfe to take over as much land as she could plough in one day and one night. She transformed her four sons into oxen and with their help managed to plough the island of Zealand out of the Swedish soil leaving a lake, the Mälaren, to show for it.


The Museum of Danish Resistance (Frihedsmuseet) 1940-1945 1957 The museum tells the story of Danish resistance during Nazi occupation 1940-1945. It springs from an exhibition called Fighting Denmark, arranged by the Resistance Council in the summer of 1945. In 1957 a permanent museum was opened on the present location. The exhibition you see today was inaugurated in 1995.


Amalienborg Palace 1750 is one of the most outstanding pieces of Danish architecture and the most distinguished example of rococo architecture in the country. The castle consists of four palaces. They are identical on the outside (but not inside) and are built around an octagonal 'square' with an equestrian monument in the middle commemorating Frederik V - the founder of the Amalienborg complex and Frederiksstaden.

The complex was planned to celebrate the 300th jubilee of the Oldenburg Dynasty in 1749. The original concept was to build four urban palaces or 'hotels' for aristocratic families on a piece of ground left empty by the fire that destroyed Sophie Amalienborg Palace. The most powerful man in the nation, the King's Lord High Steward, A.G. Moltke, was the driving force behind the project. One of the palaces, (Christian VII's Palace to the south-west) was designated for his personal use and he found the three other clients: Privy Councillor G.F. Levetzau (Christian VIII's Palace to the north-west), Baron Joachim Brockdorff (Frederik VIII's Palace to the north-east) and Privy Councillor Severin Løvenskiold (Christian IX's Palace to the south-east). The leading architect of the day, court builder Nikolai Eigtved, supervised the project and building started in 1750.

  The equestrian statue of Frederik V (1723-1766) is situated in the middle of the wonderful Amalienborg Castle Square. It was created by Jacques-Francois-Joseph Saly, fully lives up to its exclusive surroundings. Between the elegance of the palaces and the lightness of the statue there is a fine harmony. The statue was created 1755-1768. It was revealed in 1771.


Frederiks Church (The Marble Church) 1894 Planned as part of the 18th century architechtural complex of which Amalienborg is the most prominent part. But the church was not finished until 1894, when the present church in neo-baroque style was consecrated.


Nyhavn 1670 was constructed in 1670 as an encouragement to trade and shipping as a canal going from The harbour of Copenhagen til Kongens Nytorv. Along the quay houses have been built on both sides.
Nyhavn has two quite different sides: "the decent" with Charlottenborg castle and the blocks of flats for the respectable bourgeoisie. And "the naughty", where the buildings are often half-timbered houses with picturesque back buildings. Towards the end of the last century up to 1950s and 1960s many dubious public houses were situated here crowded with tough hooligans and tarts. No so called "decent" people would dream of setting their feet on that side of Nyhavn after dark. In the very same period poets praised exactly that merry quality of the old Nyhavn in songs like "Nu går våren gennem Nyhavn".

Today "the naughty" side of Nyhavn has become fashionable. The quay has been turned into a walking street and the habour basin has been opened up for old sailing ships. Excellent restaurants and cafes have appeared. Especially in the summertime the quay is crowded by people out having a good time. If today you are interested in buying a flat in the "naughty" Nyhavn, you have to be more than well off.

One of the most famous residents of Nyhavn was the writer of fairytales Hans Christian Andersen (see the house of H.C. Andersen). From Nyhavn The Canal Tours have departures to for example Holmen.


Det Kongelige Teater (The Royal Theatre) 1874 The Royal Danish Theatre is located on Kongens Nytorv. The building is especially beautiful at night, when audiences in gala dress flock to the theatre to see the night's performances. The Royal Danish Theater is the second of its kind and was built on the old naval yards of Gammelholm in 1874 under the direction of architect Wilhlem Dallerup. The first theatre was much smaller and was located to the right of the new-build theatre.

The Royal Danish Theatre is nowthe home for the Theatre and The Royal Danish Ballet . The theatre consists of Gamle Scene and Ny Scene. Gamle (Old) Scene has among many other things a magnificent auditorium. The ceiling is decorated with Constantin Hansen's Nine Muses. A new building for the theatre will open in 2008, and only the Royal Ballet will use the building then. 
Even though at the moment the ballet and the opera are the most succesful artform at The Royal Danish Theatre, it is two Danish playwrights whose statues decorate the entrance to Gamle Scene. Ludvig Holberg (1684-1754) was made by Th.
Stein in 1875, and Adam Oehlenschläger (1799-1850) was made by H.W.Bissen in 1861.

In front of the theatre, there stands another statue: It it logical enough that it is Christian V that is standing in the middle of Kongens Nytorv, for it was he who created this distinguished "King's New Square" in 1670. He found his model in the Place Royal in Paris. The equestrian statue in bronze was put up in 1688 and it is the oldest in all of Scandinavia. The French sculptor Abraham-Cesar Lamouroux was the man who created this work of art. In 1946 Einar Utzon- Frank recreated Lamouroux's statue, which by that time had almost gone to pieces.


Christianshavn 1600´s Or "New Amsterdam" was built on a filled in water bed. Christian IV was a great admirer of the Netherlands and had the Dutch architect Johan Semp make the plans for this new town, where merchants were persuaded to settle. This area has not suffered in the great fires, so you can still see examples of houses from the late 1600's.


Vor Frelsers Kirke (Our Savior's Church) 1696 This baroque church with an external tower staircase dates from 1696. Legend has it that when the encircling staircase was constructed curving the wrong way, the architect climbed to the top, realized what he'd done, and then committed suicide by jumping. The green and gold tower of this Gothic structure is a Copenhagen landmark, dominating the Christianshavn area. Inside, view the splendid baroque altar, richly adorned with a romp of cherubs and other figures. There are also a lovely font and richly carved organ case. Four hundred steps will take you to the top, where you'll see a gilded figure of Christ standing on a globe, and a panoramic view of the city.


Holmens Church 1562-63 Church of the Royal Navy. The nave was originally built as an anchor forge for the naval dockyard in 1562-63, but was converted into a church for naval personnel in 1619. The church was enlarged 1641-43 by adding two wings which gave the church the form of a Greek cross. The style is predominantly Dutch Renaissance. Niels Juel and Tordenskjold were buried in the Chapel. Brochure available in Danish, English og German.


Børsen (The Old Stock Exchange), 1620 One of Copenhagen most spectacular buildings; furthermore one of the oldest. Christian IV built The Stock Exchange (1620) in his efforts to turn Copenhagen into a finacial centre that could compete with Amsterdam. The Stock Exchange was built on filled-in foundation. Because it was surrounded by canals on three sides The Stock Exchange survived the fires that through the years have ravaged Copenhagen.

The Stock Exchange was originally built with the purpose of trading with grain.
The building was meant to be a meetingplace for Danish and foreign merchants and was filled up with shops. The first floor was converted into a warehouse, where you were able to buy everything from books to grain.
The long building is abundantly decorated with dormers. The most characteristic thing about The Stock Exchange is the spire. Four dragons with their tails intertwined form the spire, which is topped by three golden crowns, which symbolize three Nordic countries, Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

From 1800 to 1900 The Stock Exchange was converted into a modern stock exchange. At The Stock Exchange bonds and stocks were sold and bought, often causing great drama. Some investors, who were both clever and lucky, earned themselves fortunes, while others went bankrupt.

Today the stock exchange transactions have moved to Nicolaj Square, but the Copenhagen Chambers of Commerce still use the big hall for meetings.


Kancellibygningen (Slotholmsgade 4), 1716-21 on Slotsholmen was build in 1716-21 to house the centraladministration. The building, also called ”The Red Building”,  was connected to ”The Geheimearchive”, and the King could through a passage walk directly from  The Copenhagen Castle to Kancellibygningen. It was build by Johan Conrad Ernst.


Christiansborg Castle, 1907-28 When the present Christiansborg Palace was constructed, the National Museum took care to ex-cavate and protect the ruins of the Palace's oldest predecessors, Bishop Absalon's Castle of 1167 and Copenhagen Castle that replaced it. Christiansborg is outstanding in the respect that here you find, under the same roof, Denmark's political centre of today and the remains of the country's principal castle of the Middle Ages. Today's Christiansborg Palace was built in stages during 1907-28, and beside being the seat of the Danish Parliament (Folketing) the castle also houses the Royal Reception Rooms with the Great Hall used for banquets held for foreign heads of state and diplomatic audiences.
In the north wing is also the Supreme Court and the Prime Minister's office and department located.
The Royal stables and the Theater Museum are placed around the riding grounds.

Christiansborg Palace currently situated on Slotsholmen is the third palace of the name on the site. Before that, Absalon's Castle was built on the site in 1167, followed by Copenhagen Castle, which Christian VI demolished immediately after his accession to the throne in 1730. Instead, he commissioned the architect Elias David Häusser to build the first Christiansborg Palace, a magnificent baroque castle with associated show grounds and palace chapel. Most of the castle complex was completed by 1745. Fire ruined the castle and church in 1794, but the Showgrounds were saved.

The equestrian statue of Frederik VII is situated in the middle of Christianborgs Slotsplads in front of the Castle. The statue was created by H.V. Bissen.

At the riding ground behind Christiansborg you find the equestrian statue of king Christian IX. It was revealed 15 November 1927. The reason that Christian IX was placed here is due to the fact that it was during his rule that the decision was made to rebuild Chritiansborg after the great fire in 1884.


Christiansborg Castle Church 1826 Designed by C.F.Hansen, classic architect from the 19th Century, the Christiansborg Castle Church was inaugurated in 1826 to celebrated the 1000 years anniversary for introduction of Christendom in Denmark. After having suffered a devastating fire in 1992 - the church was thoroughly restored and opened again in January 1997. Until 1926 it was Court Church for the Royal Family to-day used, when a Monarch has passed away and is lain on Castrum Doloris and for mass in connection with the annual opening of Parliament.


Thorvaldsens Museum 1848 represents a complete rebuilding of the old Royal Coach House which was on the site where the Museum now stands. In 1839, the architect Michael Gottlieb Bindesbøll was appointed museum architect, and building could finally begin late in 1839. On 18 September 1848, Thorvaldsens Museum opened as the first museum building in Denmark.Bertel Thorvaldsen was born in Copenhagen on 19 November 1770 and died in Copenhagen on 24 March 1844. His funeral took place in the Cathedral Church of Our Lady in 1844, and he was finally buried in the inner courtyard of Thorvaldsens Museum in September 1848.


Gammel Strand (the Old Beach) is a very precise name, because in the early Middle Ages, it was here the coastline was, and Gammel Strand has probably been the beach, where the fishermen landed their catch. Ever since then has the life in Gammel Strand revolved around the water and the fish. This was the place where fishwives throughout many years sold the fishermen's catch to the citizens. You can still be lucky to experience a real live fishwife next to her colleague in bronze, a sculpture that was risen in 1940.


Town Hall 1892-1905 was built in the years 1892-1905. It was designed by the architect, Martin Nyrop, who was the man behind the national romantic architecture breakthrough in Denmark. From the balcony, national heroes receive ovations of the people, proms are held in the hall, and everybody's eyes are fixed at the bell tower every new years eve.

Jens Olsens mechanical astronomical clock comprises 12 works. It was put in motion in 1955. The clock shows local time, actual solar time, sunrise and sunset times, the Gregorian calendar and the Julian period, the firmament, the migration of the celestrial pole besides geocentric and helocentric orbits.

Jarmer's Tower 1200's   or what is left of it, was built in the 1200's. It is named after a Wendish chieftain called Jaromar who broke through the fortified town wall at this spot in a siege in one of the many wars between the Church and the Monarchy in the 1200's. You will find it where Nørrevoldgade meets Vester Voldgade. 


Tivoli 1843 which attracts three million visitors a year, lies like an oasis at the heart of the pulsating metropolis. It opened it´s doors for the the first time in 1843. Today there´s 37 restaurants and 26 rides in Copenhagen's most beautiful gardens with their more than 400,000 flowers. Appearances by circus performers, concerts and children's theatre are part of Tivoli's daily programme. When darkness falls, the gardens are illuminated by more than 110,000 incandescent lamps, and Tivoli's famous firework displays light up the sky twice a week.


The Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek 1897 is an art museum of international stature in the centre of Copenhagen. The museum was founded by the brewing magnate Carl Jacobsen (1842-1914) and first opened its doors to the public at its present address in 1897. Carl Jacobsen had assembled one of his age’s largest private art collections and wished to preserve it for posterity. The museum was named after his brewery, "Ny Carlsberg" combined with the word "Glyptotek", which means collection of sculpture.


Carlsberg 1846 In 1846, Jacobsen received royal permission to move his brewery outside the city. The first buildings were built according to his own plans in conjunction with an architect. Jacobsen also designed his own villa in the late Italian classic style. It was situated next to the brewery and adorned by the finest artists of the period. Following his death in 1914, the villa became Carlsberg's honorary residence. The physicist, Niels Bohr, lived here between 1931 and 1962.

Tårnbygningen (the tower building) and the double archway, Dipylon, date back to 1892, whereas the main building with its sumptuously decorated hall dates back to 1901. That same year, the magnificent Elephant Tower was built together with a brewing hall in the Florentine style.

The name Carlsberg was in fact inspired by I.C.Jacobsen's 5-year old son, Carl. Following the early beginnings in his father's small brewery at Brolæggerstræde, Jacobsen moved premises shortly after the birth of his son (in 1842) to more spacious premises with a fresh water supply. The site of the new brewery was Valby Bakke (commonly referred to as "the mountain") where beer production got underway in 1847.

In 1999 Carlsberg put an end to the guided tours of the brewery and introduced a visitor's centre, where visiting guests are invited to explore the fascinating world of beer all by themselves. The Centre is located in the 1847-building that housed the old brewery and here you can see both the old horse-stables as well as a variety of exhibitions and videos displaying the brewery-techniques of now and then. There is no entrance fee.


Frederiksberg Castle 1699 The construction of the palace began in 1699, and it has formerly been the summer residence of Frederic VI. In 1869, however, it was assumed by the Military Academy, and they still run the place. The palace was built in the Italian style, and this is clearly seen watching the yellow facade. The castles former gardens are today called Frederikberg Gardens. Here you can see the Chinese Pavilion from 1799, and other features of interest such as Apistemplet from 1802, Kildegrotten, Ønskehøjen and Schweizerhuset from 1801. They were all designed to inspire and enchant the visitor and direct his thoughts to far-off, exotic places.


Assistens Cemetary 1760 Assistens Cemetery was founded around 1760 because the cemeteries inside the city ramparts were becoming overcrowded. It was planned as a cemetery for the poor, but in the latter part of the 18th century it became the fashion to bury the rich and famous here. This is why there are approx. 1.800 monuments worthy of preservation in the cemetery, some of which were created by sculptors such as Wiedewelt, Abildgaard, Weidenhaupt and Dajon. Here you can visit the graves of Hans Christian Andersen, Søren Kierkegård, Jens Juel, H.C. Ørsted, Martin Andersen Nexø and many other famous Danes.


Grundtvigs Kirke (Grundtvig Church) 1921 to 1940 Built from 1921 to 1940, this church was designed by Jensen Klint, who died before it was completed. About six million yellow bricks were used in its construction. The interior is 76m (249 ft.) wide and 35m (115 ft.) tall; the exterior resembles a huge organ. The church is a popular venue for concerts.


Fredensborg Castle  1720-26 In the years 1720-26, the highly skilled J.C. Krieger built a castle complex consisting of a small main castle - almost square, one-and-a-half storeys high with dome and lanterns - in front of which he placed an octagonal castle yard encircled by single-storey servants' wings. East of the main castle was an Orangery and the one-storey building called Margrave House. The palace chapel stood in the middle of the two. East of the octagon were the stables and to the west a servant's wing called Red Wing.

The focal point of the main castle was the dome hall, which measured 15 x 15 m and was almost the same height. The sumptuous stucco on the walls and ceiling was by C.E. Brenno. The large room opening onto the garden also featured beautiful stucco work on the ceiling, as well as a magnificent ceiling painting by Hendrik Krock.

The castle was inaugurated on 11 October 1722, Frederik IV's 51st birthday, and was named Fredensborg after the recently concluded peace treaty. It continued to expand over the next few years, with a number of official residences added along the southern approach alley and a chancellery to the south of the church.

From 1741-44, the royal builder Lauritz de Thurah raised the main castle to two full storeys in height. Royal builder Niels Eigtved added the four corner pavilions in 1753-54. Frederik V and Juliane Marie had a predilection for the castle. After 1766, Juliane Marie was given Fredensborg as her dower house. During Christian IX's long reign, the castle enjoyed a new golden age with the so-called Fredensborg days, when Europe's monarchs would gather to spend their holidays. The castle has been the favourite summer residence of various monarchs ever since.  

Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik uses Fredensborg castle as their summer residence and our Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and their children little Prince Christian and  little Princess Isabella uses the castle as their officiel home and residence.


Kronborg 1585 also known as Elsinore Castle which inspired William Shakespeare to write his drama Hamlet,Prince of Denmark. First castle build in the 1420´s, Kronborg as we know it was build in 1585. Today the royal rooms, banquet hall, church, and dungeons are open to visitors with period furniture, tapestries and paintings. King Frederik II named his new castle Kronborg on 24 January 1577, but its history stretches all the way back to the 1420's when Erik of Pomerania built a heavily fortified castle called "Krogen", from which the king's men controlled shipping in the Sound and exacted the unpopular Sound Dues.  Kronborg has undergone many dramatic events. On the night of 25 September 1629, the castle was ravaged by fire and only the chapel survived. Christian IV rebuilt the castle much as it had been before the fire only with new interior decorations in early baroque style. In September 1658, Kronborg was bombarded and overrun by the Swedes who departed shortly afterwards along with the spoils of war - a large number of expensive art treasures, including a fantastic, ornamental fountain from the reign of Frederik II. The stone figure of Holger Danske, slumbering in the dark casemates under the castle, is also open to the public. According to legend he will wake up the moment Denmark is threatened by external enemies.


Frederiksborg Castle 1600-1620 is located in the middle of Hillerød on three islands in the castle lake. The oldest parts of the castle were built in 1560 by King Frederik II and the castle is named after him.

The majority of the present castle was built between 1600-1620 by Frederik II's son, Christian IV in Dutch Renaissance style with sweeping gables, sandstone decorations and copper-covered roofs and spires. The castle burnt down in 1859 but was rebuilt from 1860-84 with financial support from brewer J.C. Jacobsen and later by the Carlsberg Foundation.

The Danish Kings lived in Frederiksborg Castle for about a century and the absolute monarchs were crowned in the palace chapel from 1671. Since 1693, Christian IV's palace chapel has also served as the knight's chapel for the Order of the Elephant and the Knights of the Dannebrog and is also used as a parish church at the moment. The church also houses the old organ from 1610 built by Esajas Compenius.

Frederiksborg Palace chapel served as the beautiful backdrop for the wedding of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra in November 1995.

The National History Museum has been housed in the castle since 1878. The museum was founded by brewer J.C. Jacobsen as a special department of the Carlsberg Foundation. As well as magnificent rooms and spaces like the palace chapel, the Rose, the Audience Chamber and the Great Hall, the museum contains the country's most important collection of portraits and historical paintings.


Roskilde Domkirke  1220 Sepulchral chapel of Danish kings and queens. Construction began around 1170, the Church opened in 1220. A splendid illustration of Danish architecture and history of the past 800 years. Latest addition: The Burial Place of King Frederik IX in 1972, his wife Queen Ingrid in 2000 and most other danish monarchs during the last more than 1000 years. Royal chapels closed during church functions.



To the front page